Sponsored

Two time gold medalist Jordan Stolz says even he still gets nervous before races

 American speedskater Jordan Stolz has made Olympic history at the Milan Cortina Games, setting Olympic records in both the men's 1000 and 500-meter finals and taking home gold medals in both events. He's 2-for-2 at these games, and even then, the speedskating star says the Olympic stage is nervewracking.


"Before the 1000, I was feeling nervous, just because it was the first one. It’s the Olympics, right? And it’s super important," Stolz said to reporters after today's competition.

Stolz said watching the men's 5000-meter competition, which he did not participate in, made him nervous for his own races. "Just watching that made me a little bit nervous, because it’s kind of like you’ve waited four years to be able to get here. Now you only have one chance to win."

There's more competition ahead for Stolz, who will race in the 1500-meter final and the mass start speedskating event next week. But after racing what the speedskater is calling his best 500-meter race ever, he's hopeful for strong runs during his next two events.

"I think right now my speed and my endurance feels really good. So I think if I skate a clean race, it should be a good result," Stolz said.

Stolz said he plans on relaxing ahead of his next events. What does relaxing look like for an Olympic speedskater? "Just try not to think about skating," Stolz said.

Post a Comment

0 Comments